Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blog Post #3

Blog Post #3 comments pic
Response to "A Vision of Students Today" by Michael Wesch:

Watching the video by Michael Wesch to me is not entirely all facts. Yes it is a project done by students through surveys and group discussion I'm assuming, but I have several problems with the research compiled. First, all the students are from the same university. To me it would be best if several students from many universities came together on the project because not all schools are the same. Looking at some of the signs they shown I have to disagree with the majority of them. I do know send 500 emails a year or read 49% of my books. I do not sit in class on facebook or even spend 3.5 hours on it a day and I know for a fact I do not eat for 2 hours a day. Yes I could see some exceptions, but those days are very rare these days.

As far as adding anything further to this research I can only think of a few more aspects that could be added. I know, speaking personally, I try to spend as much time with my family as possible. Family was not mentioned at all. I spend at the least an hour a week with my parents and completely and totally away from school work. My family lives about 45 minutes away so it is hard to see them, but some students see their families more than I do. Also, going out on other events are not included such as dates or musical concerts. Other students are involved in different things. Personally I felt the study was interesting, but not entirely accurate in many different ways.

Response to "It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines:

Once again I find myself totally re-thinking my what I have previously concluded about education today. I agree with Kelly that teachers are not in the 21st century when the students they teach are. I feel like many teachers today have a bad case of tunnel vision. They were taught a certain way all through school, their colleagues teach the same way, and that is the only way to teach. If they would simply take a step back and view teaching from an 'outsiders' prospective they would see that it really does not have to be this way. That is why all educators must live in the now and use the technological resources around them.

I view being an educator along the lines of being a doctor or a scientist. The field is changing everyday, new information is being acknowledged so to be a great doctor they must learn these things and educate themselves so they acquires this knowledge. They can then teach or perform this information later for their peers or students. However, with everything previously being said teachers need to remember where their roots are. The basic principles of anything never change, 2 + 2 will always = 4, but how this can be taught and what can be used to teach this can/will/do everyday. Teachers must not rely on technology in the classroom, but use it in a way their students can easily relate to. This makes it easier for them to understand or find ways to understand.

Response to "Is It OK to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?" by Karl Fisch:

I feel like the article creates many valid points. In our class we have focused so intently on getting teachers to open up and use technology in the classroom, but Mr. Fisch brings us back to reality. Technology is a key to the future in the classroom, but not THE key. Teachers should find ways to implement computers and online activities into the classroom, but technology is not the answer to everything.

Not only that, but I feel that the first step that needs to be taken to get teachers to use technology is by the administration. I feel that many teachers, especially outside the college level, do not use computers because they do not know how to use them. Teachers today are required to take a computer class for their degrees, but what about those older generation teachers. They more than likely do not know how to use a computer. They must learn how to use these technologies before they can expect their students to be able to do it.

Response to "Social Media Count" by Gary Hayes:

The first thing that I think about when seeing these stats is that I can these stats did not even exist just a few years ago. The internet for starts, but think about facebook, twitter, youtube, and x box all did not exist 10 years ago. What will things be like in another 10 years from now... what about 20 years from now. Apple just came out with the ipad so what is next the ipalm? As far as in the field of education I feel like more and more classes will become used online since we use computers so much today. Who knows, maybe 100 years from now we may not even has schools or universities anymore. I honestly am scared at where education is going for my child and my grandchildren.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Aaron! I like the way you compared an educator to a doctor. This is a great way to make the point that professionals must be professional in every field. Doctors and Teachers alike must be masters of their trade, keeping up with the latest and greatest strategies and technology.

    Your blog is looking good. Remember to proof read before posting. Otherwise, keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete