Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blog Post #5

Aaron's Blog Post #4
The first podcast I choose to watch was "Eagles' Nest Radio: Episode #3":

I was shocked at how young this students were. These students were 3rd graders creating podcast. I have to ask, "Why can't many of the teachers do this when 3rd graders can?" In this particular podcast the students of this class gave us a very informative and interesting podcast on the Ancient Romans. The students discussed their listeners about many cool facts such as Cleopatra is in fact from Greece and not Rome. They also talked about things that were constructed by the ancient Romans and many of the inventions they created such as aqueducts and amphitheaters. Not only has the class posted podcast about the Ancient Romans, but they have also made podcast about famous explorers through time and a podcast with shark facts.

Podcast viewed #2, "Langwitches":

This was a link to a website devoted to sharing articles about podcasting in the classroom. The most recent article was posted by, I'm assuming, another teacher about a class of 4th graders she was asked to talk concerning podcasts. The class then began putting their ideas together on a smart board and they students were asked to create their own story out of the ideas mentioned. After turning them in the class would vote on their favorite to use in their podcast. I thought this was a really interesting way to use podcast in the classroom and could be done with students at any grade level. Then the students were able to take different jobs to put the podcast together and produce it.

Podcast viewed #3, "The Educational Podcast Network, Ace Kids":

This website's purpose is to help students and teachers come together from all over the world and share their work that they do through podcasting. I choose to listen to some elementary school students work. I understood that these podcast were from 2005 , but I had not realized until after I had started listening to the podcast that these students were in fact from Australia. I was not only amazed at the great work that did with their podcast, but I was very impressed with the professionalism that the students portrayed when speaking. They cited their sources and even thanked people that helped them create the podcast. I thought about several podcast ideas I could do with my class. For example, in one of their first podcasts they researched and discussed the history of their city and what it was like. They used several sound effects in each of their podcasts to make them even more interesting and used music in each podcast to keep things from getting boring.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aaron. I enjoyed reading your post and I agreed with what you said about the Eagle Nest Radio podcasts. I was so amazed to see such a nice podcast made by third graders. I wish that this type of technology would have been used in my class when I was that young! As for the other two websites that you chose to visit, I did not look at them until after I read your post. Unfortunately, I was a little low on time when I completed this assignment and only visited the minimum number of websites. However, reading your post spiked my interest enough to visit the other sites as well and I am so glad that I did! The podcasts by the Australian students were wonderful and quite professional as you stated. I think that website is so neat in the way that it is used to bring students and teachers from around the world together. I also enjoyed seeing the class compile their ideas about podcasts on the Smart Board. All of these websites were incredibly helpful for us as future teachers and I am glad that your post encouraged me to visit them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! If 3rd graders can, why not teachers?! And your post sent AnMarie back for more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete