Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Post #8

Response to Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2:

Mr. Miller's first major point that really made me begin to think is when he talks about growing up with books. I never really thought about it before, but I always imagined growing up that I, as well as my children, would use all though school. Growing up I never dreamed that most of my homework would be completed on these things called computers. It never crossed my mind that I would not use a book to gather the necessary information needed for a research paper. Mr. Miller explains that he composed a paper after the Virginia Tech shootings without stepping foot in a library. This really made me start thinking about what all is really out there on the web.

Another great point he makes is that teachers must understand that technology is a phenomenal tool that they must learn to use. Therefore, teachers must work with each other and share ideas over the web. Sharing ideas makes EVERYONE'S life easier. It is also cheaper to post ideas through blogs or other websites, than to travel to conferences where the same material could be covered. This is also where Skype could be implemented. By sharing these thoughts between one another it would greatly improve the quality of teachers out there today.

One point that Mr. Miller does not directly discuss, but he crossed my mind while watching this videos is the idea that as the population grows each day. The number of students in schools gets larger and larger and the number of teachers to teach these children is getting smaller and smaller. This creates a larger number of students per classroom and the quality of teaching can only go down. How can teachers today keep track of all these students? Hmm.... I wonder?! Maybe by using computers to complete class assignments things might be easier and overall better. If only teachers knew how things could be different for the better.

That being said I feel that personally I am prepared to teach students by using the multimedia/technological sources. I also feel that my students will be more than capable of using them as well. The future generations will be able to completely blow the minds of my generation when we become teachers because they will understand how to do so much more than we do now.

2.

I think it would be really cool to come up with a video like this, but I do not have any ideas to throw out there. Given some serious time (weeks) to think about it I know I could come up with something. Nonetheless, it would be a really cool project.

3.

Aaron's Blog Post #8


I understand that if there are smartboards and they have problems they will encounter, but overall they are cheaper than books. The article I have found that counters the original blog post by Michael Staton is listed below. This article makes contains many bullet points FOR the use of smartboards. Some of the most important of these points being that they accommodate many learning styles and they are "a colorful tool. Research indicates that students respond to displays where color is employed." All reasons, in my opinion, that smartboards should be used in schools.

2 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    I couldn't agree more that I never would have expected for so much of my work to be done using a computer when I was younger. But now, I can't imagine how I could get by without it. It's crazy to think that not everyone has been fortunate enough to have such great technology in their education. And as advanced as it seems now, technology is only becoming more advanced. I know that when I have children and they get to college, they will be wondering how I got by with the advancements they will have at that time.
    I also agree that my students will be very technology literate because they will have to be in order to succeed. It's my job to continue to update myself with all of the advancements to be the best teacher I can be.
    Smartboards are without a doubt very helpful in the education process. I too think that they should be used in schools. Although there are other ways to teach without them, I think that the most beneficial way is to invest in a smartboard.

    Stephanie Dunaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,

    I also never would have thought that one day I would be using a computer and the internet to research, write, read, and collaborate. Everything that is available is so helpful and necessary. The internet allows us to do all of these things at such a fast and easy pace, not to mention that most of the things available are free. It is so great that we can share our ideas through many different resources and contact people all over the world. While all of this is great, I am still an advocate for reading and writing using paper. I love going to a library to study or find new books that I have not read. Do not misunderstand me, I love technology, and I will definitely use it in my classroom; however, I will also incorporate other resources as well.

    I know you said you did not have any ideas for a video at this moment, but what did you get out of the videos? How did they make you feel or think about?

    ReplyDelete