Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Post #10

Response to "An Open Letter to Educators" by Morgan Bayda:

I totally agree with the comments by Dan Brown in his video as well as Morgan's article. I too find it incredibly hard to stay awake, much less give the instructor any of my attention. Classes today are so... expected. 99% of the classes today are basically the same. Students show up, teacher talks, students take notes, and then class is dismissed. The teachers do almost all of the talking and I feel that this is mainly because the students are so busy taking notes that they do not have time to think about what they are 'learning.' Students are allowed to ask questions or come up with their own thoughts because there is so much required material that must be covered. I feel that classrooms should be sort of like an open forum where students are able to interact with each other and gather thoughts. Thanks to technology the instructor could even create a website where students can ask questions or continue discussions online outside of the classroom. School is also hindering my education because the subjects have been taught the same way for decades. Granted that some subjects cannot be taught in a different way, but teachers can find something to spark students interest. I completely understand and agree with Dan Brown. I have no problem with people quiting school because in some cases the education can far exceed that in the school. Students today aren't given near enough opportunities to open their minds to... the world!


Response to "Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home" by Tom Johnson:

This was a really interesting post and I am also hard to find it very hard to comment on. The one main thing that I have realized is that teachers and administration need to realize that we all expand our knowledge even when 'playing hangman.' Learning comes in many forms and many individuals do not realize that they are indeed learning something.


Blog Post #10



Response to "Two Questions That Can Change Your Life" by Daniel Pink:

I really liked this video and it has made me think more than most post that we have looked at this summer. It took me quite a while to come up with my sentence, but I did come up with one. "He made the best out of every situation and life." I say that because it is true. I don't have the best life and I'm not perfect, but I try my hardest to do well in all that I do.

2 comments:

  1. What drives me crazy about college classes is they make you pay for the same stuff you already did in high school. Completely useless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,

    You hit the nail on the head with this comment ... I feel that classrooms should be sort of like an open forum where students are able to interact with each other and gather thoughts. This is what we want to try and get other classes to buy into for better learning! We all have so much to share with one another and our creativity and imaginations can blossom in that environment. You have to look no further than the projects that all of you have done in this class!

    ReplyDelete